I love a good strawberry shortcake, who doesn’t. I searched and found this recipe – but it wasn’t gluten free. I won’t let that stop me! I’m a long time baker and so this comes so naturally too me. I know not everyone is like that so I hope you find this just as tasty as I do!
I choose to use a Betty Crocker cake mix. I used a general all purpose Gluten Free Flour to flour the pans.
Make sure you use a gelatin that is gluten free! If you are using other types of oils feel free to substitute here as well.
My mom gave me the love of baking and when she saw this recipe she just had to jump in and help! She was a home economics teacher and gave me a love of cooking! Thanks mom!
Be careful to not beat your egg whites too much! You want stiff peaks – see the beater – the little point on the beater hanging down. This gives the cake a light and airy feel.
Clean your fresh strawberries and then chop them up. You want them to be mashed and juicy and chunky – but not big chunks.
FOLD the mashed strawberries and egg whites into the cake batter. It’s very important to fold the egg whites because you don’t want to loose the stiff peaks and the fluffiness that they will bring to the cake.
Pour into the pans – equally. Bake! Let them cool for 10 min then flip the cakes out of the pans and let them cool ON the cooling racks.
Wait until the cake is fully cooled then make your frosting and frost the cake. Put about 1/3 of the frosting on the bottom layer. You can put fresh strawberries down. Then place the second cake. Frost the rest of the cake. Top with strawberries, slice and ENJOY!
Make sure you keep this in the frig – due to the frosting!
Strawberry Shortcake Cake
- 1 package White Cake Mix ((Can use yellow if you prefer))
- 1 package (3 oz) Strawberry Gelatin
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Strawberries (Mashed and Unsweetened)
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Confectioners Sugar ((Powdered Sugar is the same thing))
- 2 Cups Fresh Strawberries (Sliced or Halve)
- Preheat oven for 350 degrees.
Grease & flower 8 inch round pans
- In a large bowl, combine the dry cake mix, gelatin powder, water and oil.
- Beat on low speed for 1 minute or until moistened; beat on medium for 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites and mash strawberries into cake batter.
- Pour into two greased and flowered 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- To prepare frosting, beat cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Place first cake layer on serving tray, top with a layer of whipped cream and strawberries, place second later on top and top with remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
This recipe was not a “gluten free” recipe but one that I converted to be gluten free. This was just heavenly! If you love strawberry shortcake this is the desert for you! The strawberry filling was just the right amount of fruit. If you are one that likes more fruit – then put more on the finished product. The frosting was great. This really hits the spot in the spring time when you want strawberry shortcake.
My father didn’t know it was gluten free and he loved it. Later when I told him it was gluten free he was shocked!